Bmeandering

Bmeandering

Monday, May 17, 2010

It takes guts

It takes guts to be different when you're in high school, especially when that high school's student count barely reaches 400.
In this time of barely covering "your crack" jeans, layered tanks --skinny and long--to cover what flesh the jeans don't, light outer layers with a dark colored bra lurking underneath, cleavage out the wazoo, long straight highlighted hair or long scrunched hair, "perfect" make-up, and the standard big purse with the latest techno phone, what do you do when confronted with this?


Your mouth stretches into a wide genuine smile, a chuckgurgles up from your throat,  your eyes sparkle as they wink, your hands give a thumbs up, and then you say something like "Way to go!" 
As a teacher you do everything possible to encourage this student to continue to be herself in this cookie cutter world called high school.
Of utmost importance is that she knows someone in the adult world thinks she's cool and brave and smart and that she can succeed in whatever way she wants---
that being different is more than okay---it's terrific!
(I was in my forties before I figured that out!)

Crazy knee socks and patterned shorts with a t-shirt that may match and then again may not--these are her signature---these help express who she is,
and she and her outfits assure me of at least
one grin every day.
Sat. night at the prom, I was grinning before she turned and saw me.
Her eyes lit up and she grinned back.


I am a God-pleaser, not a people-pleaser.  I obey God before man.
Acts 5:29

I am not controlled by what people think of me.  As long as God is satisfied with me I am satisfied.
I Corinthians 4: 3-4

I don't try to be popular with people.  All I want is to do the will of God.
Galatians 1:10

All these scriptures are easier said than lived!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the smile here, too ... takes a lot of courage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the unique individuals! God Bless 'em!!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Please let me know you stopped by.