Bmeandering

Bmeandering

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Be Nice or Go Away!


Don't you wish life was this simple? This is a sign on my desk. The kids who notice it are the kids who don't abide by it! Interesting! (FRUSTRATING).
There is one boy who is especially annoying. He seems to think the rules are for everyone but him. He is a member of my kindergarten class--one of the ones who makes it my kindergarten class. Folks I teach freshmen and junior high school English. But lo and behold, I have a "kindergarten class" 8th period. Going into our last 9 week period, I got "fed up" and am now running it much like a kindergarten class. I haven't resorted to the board with the stars, etc., but I'm close!
Anyhow, this young man found himself with a D last Friday when report cards came out. He either rushes through assignments---has to be the first to hand them in, then looks for mischief or he doesn't hand them in.
Well, mama grounded him until the D becomes a C----oh and I do mean grounded---all kinds of stuff. He's a bit frantic. He wants me to drop everything else and grade his book report that he handed in LATE, AFTER mama saw the report card. I told him today that I have a life of my own and obligations and it's not my problem that he's grounded. Sound heartless? Seriously, I have another class whose notebooks and other work come before his class.
Oh my, how he's being nice, but from a distance. He's now decided he will honor my personal space. Hmmmm.

4 comments:

  1. maybe he will become president someday...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good one! You got me to laugh even before my coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry, but Nancy's comment cracked me up! I can understand your frustration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me, too. I laughed. Reminds me of one of my g-kids. And I LOVE your sign. I think we must be similar spiritually genetically b/c my brain seems to flow the same direction yours does. As a teacher I'm sure you face one social frustration that's happening -- our system just voted it in -- no one can get a "0" b/c it might ruin their self-esteem. So a couple teachers I know go along with that rule and give the kids a "5". Bless the work of your hands and your faithfulness in stepping out. [I was SO glad to see that his mom sided with you instead of trying to get you fired or sue you.... my eyes are practically rolling up your street at this point.]

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Please let me know you stopped by.