Bmeandering

Bmeandering

Thursday, September 8, 2011

I Need Help/a Favor

I have volunteered to do a display for 9-11in our showcase in the lobby.  I have two days to do it.  I also want to have some 'readings' for that morning.  I have some students who will read them over the loudspeaker.  I plan to have one do a brief time schedule of the events.

I would like reactions to that day from all of you who visit my blog---those who live in the United States, but also from those who are from other countries.

What do you remember most?
What was your first thought?
Did you stay glued to the TV?  Why or why not?
Do you think that more movies or songs or continual coverage of those who were and continued to be in involved in the aftermath and of those who died should have been done?  Did we shut down on it too soon?

Is there a poem, book, or song about that day or that pays tribute to the loss or simply touches you?
If so, what is it?  Who is it by? 

Are their any books you would recommend on the subject? If so, please write the title and author and brief account.  I'd like to make a list for the display.
Any songs? Title, writer, singer, and if possible lyrics, and a YouTube connection or better yet a way for me to download it because YouTube is blocked at our school.
Poems? Title, author, and if possible the words.
Short stories? Same as above.

Photos that represent to you something about that day.
Personal poetry: please share your own thoughts in poetry form or even short vignettes.

I do not want to get into the blame game and the "What ifs?".  I want a simple tribute and remembrance of that day and how we as Americans reacted and 'survived'. 

What emotional toll did it take on you---are you different in some aspect?

Please respond to all or even just one of the above and please give me permission to share.  Let me know if you want your name given or you want to be anonymous  or simply identified by an initial or first name.

LAST:  What is an American (to you)?  Please either write a brief five-sentence paragraph or a four-16 line poem (give or take a line).  Or a Haiku or . . .? You decide.

If you think of anything else, I'm open.  I need it ASAP.  Why so late? We just started school Tuesday and no one thought to plan for it.  I was the first one to start asking if we had anything planned, so then I told the principal I'd put something together.  We will not be having an assembly, but I feel strongly that we stop and remember that day and all those folks who died and who lived through it.
If you disagree with me, fine; just don't participate.   I really don't need negativity right now.

Either submit response in comment column or supply a link to your blog or your photography, etc. that I can access, please.  Keep in mind that I'm not all that 'blog savy' so I may need instructions.

Also, please mention this in your blog if you're so inclined --- pass it on.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

♥Beth-- the high school English teacher from Ohio

9 comments:

  1. I was working the 11-7 at that time and was going to work that night, so had slept in that morning. I got up around 8:30 and turned on Good Morning America to realize something unusual was going on. My oldest daughter was getting ready for her college class and she joined me. I saw that second plane hit the WTC and knew then that this was going to be more than it initially appeared.
    Yes - I stayed glued to the tv that day so I could keep getting information.
    I think we did shut it down too soon. I think this was a terrible tragedy for our nation and it needs to be remembered along with all the heroes who gave their lives.
    I don't have any book or anything in particular that touches me.
    The pictures of the WTC burning and of people running through the smoke and ash represent that day well.
    This day did change me. It made America seem a less safe place and made me more distrustful of people.
    I don't care if you use my name or not.
    An American is not just someone who happens to live in this country. It's someone who realizes how blessed they are to have the privilege of living here, it's someone who is willing to help out his fellow Americans and also others in the world when tragedy strikes. It's a person who is able to worship freely, speak freely. It's someone who is patriotic and realizes this is the best country in the world!
    (I'm not great at putting my thoughts down on short order - hope this is ok!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're doing something at your school to remember - it was a terrible, tragic day. I'm thinking of the quote (often misquoted) by George Santayana:

    "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

    We should remember. We should honor those who gave their lives to save people they didn't even know. And we should at least take one day a year to remember and pray for the families and children whose lives were forever changed on that day...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember thinking 'is it over?' I was in new Orleans and wondering what was going to be attacked next. We had to drive home b/c the airports closed and I was surprised by stores and restaurants that were open. I felt like the world had stopped, so it seemed surreal to watch people carry on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was me, mom. Jory was just signed in

    ReplyDelete
  5. 9/11 was a regular school day. I made my swing down to the kitchen to get a cup of coffee. The first tower had just been hit. The cooks had heard it on the radio. I went back to my room and turned on my TV. (Channel One televisions) I got back in time to see the 2nd plane hit. I was too stunned to move or talk. Classes wanted the television running all day long. They were working on an essay, so they worked and watched at the same time. I will never forget that day. We watched people jump from the towers. We watched the towers fall.

    What will I remember? The next day we bused students out to the Interstate near our town, and students waved flags for the cars going under the overpass. We did it every single hour of our school day for several days. Kids who didn't give a rip about anything were waving flags to encourage their fellow countrymen. Some of the toughest, meanest kids were the most interested in this show of patriotism for our country. And it was then that I knew we were going to be OK in this country--and that we would be for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  6. a very large display that day of hate and love.
    how hate planned and destroyed and yet Love came. concern, help, caring, hope, and courage. people came, people gave, people prayed. through the fear and sadness, it came. through the confusion and madness, Love made a difference that day. a day that could have been even worse without it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. we don't have tv, and 10 yrs ago we didn't have internet either. a friend called to tell me what she was seeing on a tv in a cafe, and because I really couldn't make any sense of it, I thought she must be watching some movie. The feelings over here, in italy and in europe, were quite similar to those in the US. Pradoxically, those actions planned to distroy, made a deep sense of unity grow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joanne was here visiting that day. Her husband called to tell us what was happening. As I watched the TV while he spoke, the second plane hit the towers and I thought perhaps it was a rerun although the word "live" was on the screen. It was with a feeling of disbelief that the scene unfolded. A surreal scene indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A wonderful idea. Will you share how the students did? xo

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Please let me know you stopped by.