Bmeandering

Bmeandering

Sunday, October 5, 2014

Day 4 - Learn -Where I'm From

At the end of every year, I teach poetry.  I have tried to teach it at the beginning of the year, but students and I are still wary of each other.  Thus, I don't get unfettered results.  At the end of the year, we have both loosened up and that makes for prime ground from which poetry can take flight.
One  poem that I always have them do is the "Where I'm From" poem.  It's a format poem, but I permit them to take creative licence with it.  The results are 'eye-opening'.  The benefits are two-fold: they learn that they can write poetry and also learn about the roots in each of them.  I learn more about my students and get a rare glimpse into their family life.  I am always amazed at the outcome and all that I learn from it.
Here are five samples.  I hope you enjoy them.













31 Days of Writing

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughts. Please let me know you stopped by.