Bmeandering

Bmeandering

Saturday, February 19, 2011

End of the Week Psalm with Personal Commentary




End of Week Psalm

Verses are taken from Psalm 78

1) GIVE EARS, O my people to my teaching; incline your ears to the words of my mouth.
2) I will open my mouth in a parable . . .
3) Which we have heard and known, and our fathers have told us.
4) We will not hide them from their children,
but we will tell to the generation to come the praiseworthy deeds of the Lord,
and His might, and the wonderful works that He has performed.
5) For He established a testimony (an express precept) in Jacob
and appointed a law in Israel,
commanding our fathers that they should make
[the great facts of God's dealing with Israel]
known to their children,
6) That the generation to come might know them,
that the children still to be born might arise
and recount them to their children,
7) That they might set their hope in God and not forget the works of God,
but might keep His commandments.
12) Marvelous things did He in the sight of their fathers in the land of Egypt,
in the field of Zoan [where Pharaoh resided].
13) He divided the [Red] Sea and caused them to pass through it,
and He made the waters stand like a heap.[Exodus 14:22]
14) In the daytime also He led them with a [pillar of] cloud
and all the night with a light of fire.[Exodus 13:21; 14:24]
15) He split rocks in the wilderness and gave them drink abundantly as out of the deep.
16) He brought streams also out of the rock and caused waters to run down like rivers.
[Exodus 17:6; Numbers 20:11]
19) . . . they said, Can God furnish [the food for ] a table in the wilderness?
20)  Behold, He did smite the rock so that waters gushed out
and the streams overflowed;
but can He give bread also?
Can He provide flesh for His people?

22) Because in God they believed not
[they relied not on Him, they adhered not to Him],
and they trusted not in His salvation (His power to save).

23) Yet He commanded the clouds above and opened the doors of heaven;
24) And He rained down upon them
manna to eat and gave them heaven's grain.[Exodus 16:14]
25) Everyone  ate the bread of the mighty (man ate agnels' food];
God sent them meat in abundance.

28) And He let [the birds] fall in the midst of their camp,
round about their tests.
29) So they ate and were well filled. . .

32) In spite of all this, they sinned still more, for they believed not in
 (relied not on and adhered not to Him for)
His wondrous works.
(excerpts from 72 verses)

I have stayed away from Psalms and the Old Testament
because much of it confuses me.
However, God put it upon my heart to study Psalms
and I am doing that--slowly but surely.

In the first part of this long Psalms,
I read about all the wonders God performed for the Israelites,
yet they rebelled and questioned Him.
My first reaction was: "He parted the Red Sea for them and they doubt Him?"

But then I pondered on my life---how many times God has come through for me,
yet when the next problem or crisis arises, I will fret and worry.

Why do we as humans do this?
He has proved Himself repeatedly.

But with me, worry still can consume me if I let it.
I am finding more and more that I must return to the scriptures
to be successful.
.
Yesterday I felt myself start to fall into anger
with the six-boys  who challenge all authority.
 I began to recite positivescripture in my head.
I  calmed down.

Like the Israelites, I need to quit questioning
and follow God's directions and something the Israelites didn't have: Jesus' example.



Hope your weekend is a restful or fun or productive one---
whichever you need.
Blessings!


6 comments:

  1. Love that first photo. It's ice, isn't it? When I first looked at it I almost saw a conch shell on the shore...

    ReplyDelete
  2. the plant in the photo reminds me ot thyme. it also has lines of movement in the branches...nice.

    thanks for the visit and comment today :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely photo. It's good to stop and look at the small details in the wonder of the natural world. I hope your day is a peaceful one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chanting scripture is a good meditative way to stay in control...

    ReplyDelete
  5. What we dwell on is of utmost importance ... a daily challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Psalms Beth. I sort of "camped" there for months when I was going through a difficult time. They never failed to minister.
    Have a blessed week.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Please let me know you stopped by.